Kahikatea Tree at Papakura South School

Kahikatea Tree at Papakura South School
Martha-Lee and Madeline

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Teacher's Welcome Letter Room 8 2008




Kia Ora, Greetings from ROOM 8’s class-teacher. My name is Mrs. Raman, please call me Kree.
I am glad to be your child’s teacher this year. For those who do not know me,
I am from South Africa and I have 19 years teaching experience at primary school level.
I have been teaching full time at Kelvin Road School since 2003.

Room 8 is a composite class of Year 4 and Year 5 pupils. So far pupils are still settling down into their new classroom and routines and are learning to use quiet voices in class. A concern to me at this early time of year is pupils’ ongoing lateness for class and I am still waiting for 8 children to purchase their stationery. I am planning to start work in books in Week 3.

My philosophy of education is two-fold; as well as advancing childrens’ learning in achieving academic excellence; I want to promote the development of their character.
The former I want to achieve by applying creative and dynamic teaching techniques that match curricular objectives, learners’ needs, different learning styles and the use of teacher modeling. I want to develop a rich resource of expertise, experience and materials in effective ICT use to motivate and engage learners. I want to learn to use assessment tools to assess learners' work thoroughly and constructively, providing regular feedback and opportunities for reflection. I want to create a collaborative relationship between the home and the school so we can work more effectively towards a common goal. Personally, I want to approach educational challenges with optimism to ensure continual improvement and growth as a life-long learner, continually acquiring and developing new knowledge and skills to benefit my students.
In the development of Character, I want to incorporate Values into my daily classroom programme. This will maintain high standards of discipline by creating and maintaining a classroom climate permeated by the Human Values of Love, Truth, Peace, Right-Conduct and Non-Violence. It will enable students to peacefully and effectively discourage harassment and bullying and encourage kindness, tolerance and an appreciation for the unity of all people and cultures.
I want to instill in children a lifelong love for Virtue, helping them to acquire and foster positive values for a righteous character, which will enable them to “do the right thing” and become responsible citizens.
Education, I believe, is illumination and the journey of transformation.

In order to re-enforce what we are learning at school, I will be sending homework every Mondays, which is due back on Fridays. Homework should be a fun time when your child can show you what they are learning. Setting good homework habits from now will help your child cope with greater work load in later years. Please do not allow your child to do all their work on the first day but just a section a day. Readers will only be sent home if your child has a book bag. Also encourage daily Home Reading of Duffy or library books before bedtime. Homework and Reading should take up to 30 minutes each day.

Before eating, I would like the children to say Grace, a short food prayer in Maori, which is less than 30 seconds long.
If you DO NOT WANT your child to participate in the Maori Karakia, please return the reply slip.

This term Room 8 will be doing Swimming on Mondays, Wednesdays and alternate Fridays and pupils are required to bring their togs and towels on these days.
I am hoping that we can work together to make this a fun-filled year of learning for your child. Please feel free to talk to me if there are any concerns. I am available Mondays to Fridays 8am – 8:30 and after school on Wednesdays and Thursdays 14:30 – 15:30. Please ring the school office if your child is going to be absent from school or send a letter when they return.

Thank you for your co-operation and assistance and I am looking forward to meeting you soon.

Kree Raman
Room 8 Teacher
Ko te aroha tonu te tino mea -
There is nothing greater than love -

No comments: